A spectacular flying display by twelve Supermarine Spitfires, including four rare Mark I Spitfires, will take place at IWM Duxford’s air show this September, commemorating the 80th anniversary of the first flight of this iconic aircraft.
The Duxford Air Show: Meet the Fighters (Saturday 10 and Sunday 11 September – advance tickets only) will showcase the outstanding speed and agility of fighter aircraft.
In addition to the spectacular display by twelve Supermarine Spitfires, the programme includes:
- The Global Stars Aerobatic Team, comprising British aerobatic champions past and present, performing their debut display at IWM Duxford (Saturday 10 September only)
- The world-famous Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team, the Red Arrows (Sunday 11 September only).
- The Great War Display team, with nine replica First World War aircraft including a replica Royal Aircraft Factory BE2c; three Royal Aircraft Factory SE5a aircraft; two Fokker DR1 triplanes and two Junkers CL1 aircraft.
- A Bristol Fighter, Bristol Scout and Sopwith Snipe showcasing the capabilities of fighter aircraft from the First World War.
- A display of glorious gleaming 1930s biplanes including a Gloster Gladiator, two Hawker Nimrod aircraft, a Hawker Fury and a Hawker Demon. It will be the first time this display has been seen at a UK air show.
- Training tactics employed by Second World War fighter pilots will be demonstrated with a recreated ‘drogue target’ training session. A Piper Cub will tow a large fabric drogue as a Hawker Hurricane aims at the drogue to practice accuracy in flying and target practice.
- A Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15 aircraft will fly in a dogfight with two de Havilland Vampires.*
Further historic aircraft participating in The Duxford Air Show: Meet the Fighters include: a Hawker Fury FB11, two Hispano Buchon (Messerschmitt Bf109) aircraft, a Yakovlev Yak-3, a Grumman F8F-2P Bearcat, Goodyear FG-1D Corsair, Consolidated PBY Catalina, the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Avro Lancaster, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress Sally B, North American P-51 Mustang, two de Havilland Chipmunks and a North American Harvard.
The Duxford Air Show: Meet the Fighters (Saturday 10 and Sunday 11 September) is advanced tickets only. Tickets are not available to purchase on arrival at the air show. Buy online at www.iwm.org.uk